Spider Vein Removal
What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are red, blue, and purple looking veins that spread across your legs. They are dilated blood vessels, similar to varicose veins, but smaller and more noticeable because they lie closer to the skin. Although they are not serious, they can be unsightly.
Many people experience additional symptoms besides the appearance of red and blue veins, this includes:
- Swelling in the legs
- Pain (an aching or cramping feeling)
- Burning or tingling sensations
- Tender areas around the veins
- Sores or skin ulcers near ankle
- A feeling of heaviness in the legs
- Tiredness in the legs
What Causes Spider Veins?
Spider veins are caused by extreme pressure, usually from standing for long periods of time. Spider veins may be hereditary and begin to form as you grow older. They are a bit different from varicose veins, spider veins are smaller and look red, purple, blue that twist and turn.
Besides the direct causes of Spider Veins, there are many factors increase a person’s chances of developing the condition. Though many of these are unavoidable, there are other things you can do to help prevent them from appearing or reappearing after our treatment:
- Effects of aging: As you get older, the valves in your veins may weaken and not work as well.
- Medical history: Inheriting weak vein valves when you were born can also increase your risk. Vein problems that run in your family is also known to increases your risk.
- Changes in hormone levels: In the case of women, puberty and menopause can contribute to the condition as well as taking birth control pills and other medicines that contain estrogen and/or progesterone.
- Over exposure to the sun: If you are exposed to the sun more than you should be, spider veins can gradually begin to appear on the cheeks or nose of a person who is fair-skinned.
- Pregnancy: Also specific to women, pregnancy creates a huge increase in the amount of blood in the body, which can potentially cause veins to enlarge. Additionally, the growing uterus also puts tremendous pressure on many things including the veins. Though spider veins usually improve several months after delivery, sometimes many of them remain. Varicose veins and spider veins often increase in number with each additional pregnancy.
- Weight: Being overweight or obese tends to put a significant extra amount of pressure on your veins, which can potentially lead to spider veins.
- Lack of mobility: Sitting or standing for long periods of time can force your veins to be overworked when pumping blood to your heart. As a result, this can cause spider veins to appear.
Spider Vein Removal Treatment
Spider vein removal, in and of itself, is generally considered a cosmetic procedure. However, spider veins are typically an outward manifestation of a much deeper lying problem in the venous system. Many of our treatments, including EVLT and Sclerotherapy, help to alleviate symptomatic spider veins. By addressing the disease at its source, many of our treatments alleviate spider veins.
Sclerotherapy is the best option to treat and remove spider veins. This treatment involves injecting a specific liquid chemical into the vein causing the vein to collapse. Over time, the vein turns into scar tissue and fades away. Sclerotherapy is an effective spider vein removal treatment and relatively painless and is completed at one of our facilities.
Some of the benefits of Sclerotherapy include:
Sclerotherapy is highly effective in reducing and sometimes eliminating varicose veins, reticular veins, and spider veins. The vast majority of our patients leave our clinic very satisfied with the results and often feel much better about themselves as a result. This is our main goal.
Sclerotherapy is known for being an extremely safe procedure. Side effects after the treatment are minimal, including itching or bruising in the treatment area, and usually go away within one or two days of the treatment.
Sclerotherapy is a very simple procedure while no hospitalization is necessary. As a result, this allows sclerotherapy to be a very affordable and cost-effective procedure. The sclerotherapy injection is performed right in our office and results are readily visible.
For a complete list of all benefits or to find out more about the treatment, navigate to the sclerotherapy vein treatment page.
Spider veins can ruin the appearance of your legs, if you are unhappy with the appearance, please see our contact information below.