Sclerotherapy is not just a procedure performed at a cosmetic surgery center. Sclerotherapy is a very crucial tool in treating varicose vein disease. Sclerotherapy is a treatment that works best for average sized varicose veins as well as for spider veins conditions. The treatment is performed under Ultrasound Guidance so as to ensure the most precise placement of the treatment.
Some areas may need more sclerotherapy sessions than others, as the success and rate of the treatment dependent on individual. We will be able to tell during our physical exam; however, there should not be any issue that cannot be resolved in our offices.
The Process of a Sclerotherapy treatment
Ultrasound is used to locate the underlying leaking veins. Sclerotherapy aims to seal off the leakage points in the vein by collapsing the incompetent veins.
A FDA approved chemical solution, or sclerosant, is injected into troublesome veins through a very fine needle. Some patients report a barely noticeable pin prick sensation when the needle is placed. The sclerosant causes the walls of the vein to become inflamed. Because of these conditions induced by the sclerosant, the vein eventually collapses. The collapse of the vein allows blood to be re-routed in the venous system so that it doesn’t stagnate in these diseased veins.
The treatment takes little time, often less than a half hour. After treatment, patients sometimes report some light cramping or burning, but this generally passes quickly. The cramping and burning results from the vein shutting down and the blood rerouting. Often, patients require a few to several sclerotherapy injection sessions for completion of varicose vein disease treatment. These treatments often show they are working with many patients reporting significantly improved symptoms, and little or less discoloration of the extremity.
Ideal Candidates for Sclerotherapy
Even though sclerotherapy is a very safe procedure, we do have guidelines that we follow for maximum safety of our patience. As such, potential candidates should keep in mind of the following before scheduling a consultation with one of our doctors.
The ideal candidates for Sclerotherapy are healthy people who do not smoke.
In addition, we will advise pregnant women to wait until after they have had their child before they go through with our sclerotherapy procedure.
If patients have veins that are too small, then it is possible that sclerotherapy treatment may not be the best choice.
What are Spider veins?
Spider veins , also known as broken capillaries and by the medical term “telangiectasia”, are comprised of dilated capillary veins that are less than 2mm in diameter while residing just below the surface of the skin on the legs or face areas. Spider veins have a blue, red, or purplish color with web-like or linear pattern.
What are Varicose veins?
Varicose veins are the unusually stretched or swollen veins that protrude from the surface of the skin, which results in a bumpy appearance on the legs. This is caused by the faulty vein valves or weak vein walls. Though varicose veins themselves are relatively harmless, they can potentially lead to minor problems such as bleeding from minor trauma.
Benefits of Sclerotherapy
One of the main reasons why Sclerotherapy is becoming a common and popular procedure is due to the numerous benefits that are inherent of this treatment. Here are some of the advantages of going through with Sclerotherapy:
- First and foremost, sclerotherapy is highly effective in reducing –and even eliminating altogether–varicose veins, reticular veins, and spider veins. The vast majority of our patients are satisfied and happy with the results and, as a result, feel better about their appearance.
- Sclerotherapy is known for being an extremely safe procedure. Side effects after the treatment are minimal, including itching or bruising in the treatment area, and usually go away within one or two days of the treatment.
- It is a very simple procedure while no hospitalization is necessary. As a result, this allows sclerotherapy to be a very affordable and cost-effective procedure. The sclerotherapy injection is performed right in our office and results are readily visible.
- The procedure is very short and is usually completed within 15 to 20 minutes. Our patient can also resume normal daily activities can immediately, so can even take this treatment during your lunch break and return to work immediately after.
- Sclerotherapy procedures are relatively painless and does not require the use of an anesthetic.
- While most cases of spider veins are indeed a cosmetic problem, in some patients they can cause aching and pain in the affected limbs. Sclerotherapy can relieve these symptoms.
If you have any questions whatsoever, we encourage you to call our centers or fill out our contact form. In addition, be sure to visit our frequently asked questions page about our vein treatment center.